DreamCard Review-PCPLUS

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 23 19:28:32 EST 2004

webmail at xasamail.com wrote:
> Let the flames begin!!

I've been rather surprised by the reaction to the review excerpts posted
here.  While "webmailman" had been anonymous (and likely to remain so
after the flaming), a simple search in the use-rev archives shows at
least one prior post from that addrerss on a scripting issue.  So it
seems safe to say Mr. webmailman is a Rev scripter, not a troll.

As for PC Plus, I can assure you it's a real magazine.  They ran an
article on WebMerge there last year, and kindly included my demo on
their CD.  It's one of a good many magazines published by Future
Publications, and my associations with them have all been top-notch.

I'm surprised PC Plus has been posting articles at their site at all.
Many of Future Pub's mags don't have a content site (just subscription
info), as the company is very much print-oriented.  I'm glad to see this
foray into web publishing, and I suspect that since they seem to be in
transition getting confortable with the web model it may well be the
case that they only post articles there once the shelf life of an issue
has expired (usually 30 to 60 days from publication).  MacTech magazine
once had a similar model.

The article wasn't really all that bad when step back and look at the
big picture. The biggest problem was that he was reviewing the wrong
product: a comparison with VB should be against Revolution, RunRev's
professional tool, not their more consumer-oriented DreamCard.  But
given that the word "professional" appears in descriptions for both
products it's not surprising that he picked the wrong one.

So perhaps it was a good thing:  if a professional writer can't figure
out which product he should be working with, what does that say for
less experienced prospects?

This is a great opportunity for RunRev to better hone each product's
message to help customers distinguish them.

If they can also restore the "Getting Started" info that had been in the
docs in all versions prior to v2.5 I suspect their next review will be
as good as most of the others they get.

Note to Mr. webmailman:  please try to not take the response in this
venue too seriously.  Heck, when MacWorld gave Rev a 4-out-of-5 review
people here complained about that too.  :)  It's just what happens when
you're in love with a market underdog.

Fortunately RunRev management seems to recognize the opportunity this
latest review represents for more effective management of the product's
message, so I suspect down the road we'll see both the product, and
subsequent reviews of it, improved.  After all, that's what reviewers
are for.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation