Card within a card (or subforms)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 16 17:10:40 EST 2004

Dar Scott wrote:
> Frank's idea of a background on several cards is the good base-line
> solution.  It requires that all instances of that subform be in the same
> position and only in that form.
>
> Jonathan's approach gives more flexibility in multiple subforms in the
> same form.  It might run into problems when windows are dragged, causing
> a subform to chase after a form.  It might be best for kiosks and
> similar applications.
>
> Another approach is to use several groups of which only one is visible.
>
> Another is to update data based on a control.
>
> You can mix and match these.
>
> It might be fun to dream about asking for a control which is a view into
> a stack.

Hmmm.... I had thought there was a request in Bugzilla for viewers
(that's what RADBuilder calls 'em)

To myself, groups feel like the most natural second choice in a world
without viewer objects.  The tough part is managing the showing/hiding
of them.

Perhaps if some kind soul had a spare 20 hours they could build a tool
to make editing nested groups easier.

With a frontscript you could have a libSubCard trap the mouseDoubleUp
message to open a custom editor when groups have a property that
identifies it as being a "SubCardGroup".

The SubCard editor could copy all the subgroups to new cards in an
editing windows, and when you save it tucks them all back into the
master group.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation