ZIP on OS X

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Dec 15 07:20:27 EST 2004

Bon jour Pierre,

> [...]
>> Bon soir Pierre,
>>> Hello Klaus,
>>>
>>> on mouseup
>>>   put shell ("zip /Users/sahores/Desktop/dess-capture.qtbr.zip
>>> /Users/sahores/Desktop/dess-capture.qtbr") into aaa
>>>   answer aaa
>>>    put shell ("unzip -j /Users/sahores/Desktop/dess-capture.qtbr -d
>>> /Users/sahores/Desktop/") into aaa
>>>   answer aaa
>>> end mouseup
>>>
>>> To get help about zip/unzip options, type in a shell window "zip
>>> -h"/"unzip -h"
>>
>> Ah, très bien! Merci beaucoup, monsieur!
>>
>> I was a bit disappointed since i knew that the command "zip" WAS
>> available, but "man zip"
>> only gave "no manual entry for zip".
>>
>> But it looks like you cannot "zip" folders/apps this way :-(
>
> Yes you can, wirklich, but you will need to feet the right options in
> "zip -h" / "unzip -h"
>
> Last login: Tue Dec 14 23:24:45 on ttyp2
> Welcome to Darwin!
> [G412:~] sahores% zip -h
> Copyright (C) 1990-1996 Mark Adler, Richard B. Wales, Jean-loup Gailly
> Onno van der Linden and Kai Uwe Rommel. Type 'zip -L' for the software
> License.
> Zip 2.1 (April 27th 1996). Usage:
> zip [-options] [-b path] [-t mmddyy] [-n suffixes] [zipfile list] [-xi
> list]
>   The default action is to add or replace zipfile entries from list,
> which
>   can include the special name - to compress standard input.
>   If zipfile and list are omitted, zip compresses stdin to stdout.
>   -f   freshen: only changed files  -u   update: only changed or new
> files
>   -d   delete entries in zipfile    -m   move into zipfile (delete
> files)
>   -k   force MSDOS (8+3) file names -g   allow growing existing zipfile
>   -r   recurse into directories     -j   junk (don't record) directory
> names
>   -0   store only                   -l   convert LF to CR LF (-ll CR
> LF to LF)
>   -1   compress faster              -9   compress better
>   -q   quiet operation              -v   verbose operation/print
> version info
>   -c   add one-line comments        -z   add zipfile comment
>   -b   use "path" for temp file     -t   only do files after "mmddyy"
>   -@   read names from stdin        -o   make zipfile as old as latest
> entry
>   -x   exclude the following names  -i   include only the following
> names
>   -F   fix zipfile (-FF try harder) -D   do not add directory entries
>   -A   adjust self-extracting exe   -J   junk zip file prefix
> (unzipsfx)
>   -T   test zipfile integrity       -X   eXclude eXtra file attributes
>   -y   store symbolic links as the link instead of the referenced file
>   -h   show this help               -n   don't compress these suffixes

Ehm, what language did you say is this? ;-)

I tried several options as mentioned here, but i always get:

zip warning: missing end signature--probably not a zip file (did you
zip warning: remember to use binary mode when you transferred it?)

which leads me to the assumption (i have to confess that the terminal's
help/explanations
are a bit difficult to understand to me...) that "zip" can only be used
to ADD something to
an EXISTING zip-file?

Anyway, i have a working solution with "ditto", but thanks a lot you
for your help...

> Best, Pierre

Regards

Klaus Major