ZIP on OS X

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Tue Dec 14 12:39:20 EST 2004

Hi friends,

i know this has been discussed before, but if i remember right
with no really satisfying results...

Does anyobody know if we can compress (zip, gz or whatever) an
application
bundle on OS X via "shell", just like the OS does via the context-menu
in the finder?

If yes, a little hint to the syntax will be appreciated...

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de

P.S.
I found and tried "ditto" in the terminal:

  ditto --rsrc weihnachtsbaum.app weihn.cpio

but the resulting file "weihn.cpio" is exactly the same appbundle as
the original package,
even the size is identical... Nothing to see of any kind of
compression...?

Tried:

  ditto -c --rsrc weihnachtsbaum.app weihnachten.zip

results in the "weihanchten.zip" file, but is still as big as the
original...

What the heck are the correct flags to compress and decompress via
"ditto"? :-)