Arrays in Rev

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Dec 10 15:17:27 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 2:44 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> It's "real", but it is NOT *within* another array.
> In Rev, you cannot do something equivalent to
>
> put "abc" into a[1]
> put  "def" into a[2]
>
> put "ghi" into b["z"]
> put a into b["y"]
>
> which you can (with different syntax) in Perl, Python, (I think) Ruby,

Or in Lingo -

myVar = [#check: [#this: [#out: "Cool"]]]

put myVar.check.this.out
-- "Cool"

put myVar[1][1][1]
-- "Cool"

People will debate the usefulness of such constructs, but I have yet to
see anything in Transcript which is nearly so elegant for complex
iterative evaluations. I strongly believe that Transcript needs this
type of data structuring... but then of course, I don't let go easily
to what I've learned and switch to what some Rev users would consider
more "native" data management techniques which *are* available, though
*much* more "wordy" to get there, and certainly do not iterate as
elegantly.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.