Rev and non-SQL databases (beginner's question)

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Wed Dec 1 10:25:36 EST 2004

I know that database formats are a FAQ here, but I was
not able to locate a reference to this specific
question; if someone knows that the subject has
already been covered, please point me to the
discussion.

I've long used the "basic HyperCard" model (one card
per account, much like a Rolodex) as a quick way to
whip up an accounting program.  Problem is, if I'd
like to add an entry or an additional variable to each
account, it means looping through each card with the
required modification. I'm also a bit concerned about
eventual size of the stack; the app and data being one
and the same.

This is a situation where an actual server is not
used, (a single computer).
Would storing the data in this form of text file work?

account1item1,account1item2,account1item3, etc.
account2item1,account2item2,account2item3, etc.
account3item1, etc.....

When the app is opened, the text file would be read
into memory. I'd only need one card with fields that
would display the various "accountXitems" from the
text file.

The number of lines in the text file (number of
accounts) could reach several thousand eventually.

Super speed is not an issue here, but obviously,
having to wait more than a few seconds for the
account's data to display is not acceptable either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Kurt