Two feature requests

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Aug 26 01:13:37 EDT 2004

I'm not sure if these should be Bugzilla entries as they're really feature
requests (that have been discussed on this list for two years).

RealBasic has a multicolumn "editField" that, with very little add'l code (I
know because I did it), permits a user to "return" down a column of cells
and "tab" across a row (with wrapping to the next column/row, respectively).
This is the feature I want to see in Rev. The existing multicolumn field is
worthless for any sort of data entry by a user without copious amounts of
code designed simply to keep the user from destroying the data presented in
the field.

The other request concerns printing columnar reports without doing
backflips. The "Report Builder" does nothing for this. What Rev needs is a
"PRINT @ X,Y" command (as in PRINT @ 20,80 "Hello" for which X and Y would
be pixels). Again, look to RB's implementation of this for an example.
Perhaps an extension to the revPrintText command that would permit it to
include an optional "@x,y"?

It is possible that a modification to the revPrintField command could work
(assuming that the multi-column field was implemented properly) if the
field's screen appearance (borders, lines between rows and columns, etc.)
was maintained on paper. Obviously, one would have to keep the overall width
of the field to a size that would print on one page (or a scaling parameter
switch could be used to force it to one page like Preview does for OSX).

You'll note that these requests would provide real, immediate benefits for
any developer interested in providing applications to be used by any
business.

Commentary by the Listas is solicited and appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry