FTP Download Problem

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Aug 25 23:01:10 EDT 2004

> I'm trying to download a stack from my server at IPowerWeb using xTalk
> in an application, It does not throw an error, but, instead, downloads
> a file with 0 bytes. My xTalk looks something like this:
>
>     put URL theRemoteURL into URL theLocalURL
>
> I can upload with no problems using the same URLs (in reversed
> positions, of course). If I change my download to an HTTP one, it
> works flawlessly. These are small to medium sized files, so I don't
> think that in this case "size matters." <GRIN>
>
> I've also tried the libURL call "libURLDownloadToFile" and get
> identical results to my script above.
>
> I've thought maybe it's the way my server is configured. I've added
> the mime type for .rev files. I can download files from my server
> using its own web-based services, so I know it's possible.

Here's the download handler I use (slightly edited, so not tested in
exactly this form):

on startDownload pFileName
   put "ftp://" into tURL
   put fld "FTPuser" & ":" after tURL
   put fld "FTPpass" & "@" after tURL
   put fld "FTPserver" & "/" after tURL
   put fld "FTPfolder" & "/" after tURL
   put pFileName after tURL

   put fld "SaveFolder" & pFileName into tSaveName
   set the fileType  to ""

   libURLDownloadToFile tURL, tSaveName, downloadDone
end startDownload

downloadDone is the name of the handler that gets called when the
download is finished.

For testing purposes, I would recommend that you create a log field and
use the libURLSetLogField command to have the transcript of the FTP
session shown to you. This will tell you where any problem is
occurring.

Cheers,
Sarah