Do we have synthetic speech in WindowsXP yet?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Aug 25 14:01:27 EDT 2004

This is a perfect example of why making a cross-platform tool is so
hard that very few people who have attempted it have succeeded. Every
OS, every platform, every deployment configuration is a moving target
that the tool maker has to try to keep up with despite having
absolutely no input into or control over how the makers of those
substrates go about their business of innovation and development.

I suppose that every one of us could come up with a list of things that
we wish Rev would do. High on my list, e.g., is the ability to have
truly styled text and styled text editing in fields. One of my dream
apps demands this. But creating such a tool that would work across just
the three primary platforms -- Mac OS X, Windows XP, and the core
distribution of Linux -- would be a HUGE undertaking. (I know; I've
read specs for it from other developers). Does that mean I am ready or
willing even to CONSIDER abandoning the best development tool I've ever
seen for 90% of my work? Or does it mean that I acknowledge that no
tool, no matter how good it is, will ALWAYS have holes, will always
have applications for which it simply isn't suited, and either to
choose not to develop applications for which my favorite tool isn't a
good choice or find a different tool that will work for what I want to
do?

So-called "real programmers" always have two or more languages in their
tool box. I don't know of any tool that is ideally suited for all kinds
of applications.

Those who say that if Rev doesn't implement this or that feature,
they're going to abandon it and move to RealBASIC or some other tool
are apparently committed to developing applications for which RunRev is
not the best choice. I say we should wish those people Godspeed and
send them on their way to a tool that WILL do what they want. Their
departure isn't a signal that there is something fundamentally wrong
with Rev, only an acknowledgment that Rev is like all other tools:
great for a lot of things, not so good for some.

On the other hand, if the tool maker commits to making a particular
technology or technique work within their tool across the supported
platform set, then the company owes its developers one of two things:
completion of the work in a satisfactory manner or a clear statement
that it will either never happen or won't be a near-term priority. The
only real mistake that can be made here, from my viewpoint, is for the
company to try to hold on to developers whose needs it will not clearly
be able to meet in a reasonable time horizon. This does everyone a
disservice. (Note that I'm not saying that's happened here; I don't
rely on synthetic speech for my applications so I am not aware of all
the history and the issues.)

I now return you to your regularly scheduled conversation.