shilling for my feature request [1926]

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sun Aug 22 15:56:54 EDT 2004

At 10:27 AM -0700 8/20/2004, Mark Brownell wrote:
>I finally found what I was looking for in the basic core for all my
>pull-parser needs. With the help of those at Run Rev this was found:
>>So, one idea is to implement a function:
>>   matchGlobal(stringToSearch, token)
>>returning a list of all indices in stringToSearch of token.
>>
>>e.g.
>>would give
>>   it[1] = 1
>>   it[2] = 10
>>   it[3] = 20

The functionality sounds good, but may I put in a vote for readable
syntax, instead of this C-like horror? ;-) For example, this one has
been discussed pretty extensively on the Xtalk list:

returning either the array as above (although I'm a bit allergic to
arrays in cases where they're not absolutely needed - difficult to
display for debugging, etc.), or, as in most return values, a simple
comma-delimited list: 1,10,20.

There are some advantages, since "offset" already exists and so
"offsets" leverages off developer knowledge of that function. The
syntax is also cleaner than the existing "offset" syntax, which has
been a rough spot ever since HyperTalk 1.0, so making the obvious
extension to the offset function might not be a bad idea. This could
also be extended to word offsets, item offsets, and line offsets
matching the current "offset" function variants.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com