OT: Virtual PC vs "Real" PC

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Aug 21 13:10:19 EDT 2004

Roger,

Testing linux on a pc in vmware is also nice...

And with the virtual nets or connections, it's just
like using a terminal server, no drop in performance,
near real time refresh over gigabit nets!

But not for newbies who dont RT[F]M... Dar, I dont know
how you managed, but we run VMW virtual clusters over
multidomains, virtual LANs with AD and DFS and no such
probs as you descripbe!

We had a few gurus, budget for consultants and the right
hardware though. VMW is not for the weak of budget or
occasional PC user either! Hardware is 2-4 GBs
of RAM, NAS or lots of RAID storage, and definitely a Gb
network recommented for a reasonable performance to use
Window 2K3. HP has a config with blade servers runnning
VMWs... Quite nice but I still prefer metaframes or
Terminal servers over W2K[3]. Cheaper and faster... But
not as flexible.

In comparison, using Terminal server, all you need is a
P4, 256MBs of ram, and a fast network to have good
performance.

BTW, Do you need a RR license for each instance of RR
you run?