Windows MIDI conversion question

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Aug 17 13:15:05 EDT 2004

Hi Judy,

> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:53:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Judy Perry <jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu>
> Subject: Re: Re :Windows MIDI conversion question
>
> IIRC, there IS a Windows version of Shakobox...

No, I'm afraid not. It uses AppleScript. Jacque, who developed the interface
for it, wrote:

> It works on Mac by sending Apple Events to a tiny custom translation
> app. But it doesn't work on Windows because it is AppleScript, and Eric
> is looking for a Windows solution.
>
> The user contributions page on Rev's web site has a stack by UDI called
> "makeSMF v1.3" which may work. I haven't worked with it much, but if I
> remember right it needs to write a file to disk. I don't know if that
> would be fast enough for "live" music creation but it is worth a look.

** for Erik -- did you try "makeSMF v1.3"?

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Erik Hansen wrote:
>
>> shakobox can also be used to play different
>> musical events simultaneously. Fun!
>>
>> we (I) desperately need Shakobox for Windows.

Looks like you'd have to create a track using it, then somehow figure out
timing for playback, if you want to use it for accompaniment while playing
live, or to coordinate with other tracks.

What is it, exactly, that you want to do? Why can't you just create MIDI
files with one of the softwares available for Windows and incorporate them
into your stacks?

Ken N.