Revolution seems ideal for Linux GUIs

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Aug 16 20:10:48 EDT 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 8:54 PM, Paul Arnott wrote:

> Hello again,
> Having played around with different versions of Linux, it seems that
> the biggest impediment to uptake is a lack of GUI tools to perform
> tasks like maintaining servers and the like. I've since found a fairly
> good solution in the form of Webmin, which uses a browser interface to
> do these sort of jobs in a graphical environment. Webmin is written is
> a bunch of CGI programs written in Perl, and is an excellent tool.
> However, having only recently discovered the wonderful world of
> Revolution, it would seem that there is a huge market for Rev
> applications that would perform tasks usually done through a command
> line. Is Rev able to drop stuff into a shell?
> Cheers
> Paul

Paul,

yes, and it does it pretty well, just check the shell() function and
the open process function, pretty straight forward. The only concern is
that linux folks are more into open source things they can
./configure-make-make-install-make-clean... if your software is
pre-built they look suspicious... :D

andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL
http://studio.soapdog.org