Is this possible in RR?

Paul paul at psystems.com.au
Sun Aug 15 21:43:18 EDT 2004

Dear list,
As a complete programming newbie, first I should say, that I'm glad to
be in a community that actually welcomes us newbies, even try to attract
us, thanks!!!.
I haven't bought a Rev license yet as I'm not (100%) sure the
application I'm planning is possible in Revolution, so I have a few
questions that I hope someone will help with!!!
The company I'm looking to design the application for, is a vertically
integrated cattle company, meaning they have breeding properties,
feedlots and an abattoir (slaughterhouse)

Requirements

1.What I'm hoping to do is build a system where each of the breeding
properties can record enter cattle weight (and other) details,and have
the application work out an individual's daily weight gain and forecast
future weights.

Question: These records would typically be over 5000 animals with
possibly 20 to 30 records each. Would I use a SQL database, XML, Arrays,
or cards to store the data? (sorry, I've still a lot to learn,
obviously!!!)

2.This info needs to be accessable over the web by the feedlot, so that
the manager can forecast his feed requirements well in advance of the
cattle arriving, similarly the slaughterhouse needs access so they can
'forward sell' the resulting meat. They would also be inputting weight
and carcass and price data for feedback to the breeders. (who also need
access)

3. Web access can be flaky in the more remote areas, so I don't want a
typical 'web application', rather something more along the lines of the
excellent GoRevnet. That is, I would need the program to be able to
operate as a local application, then by clicking a button, connect to a
server, synchronise with the database, and upload 'new' information and
download 'new' information, automatically

4. The info would need to be segregated by password so that indiviual
breeders would only have access to their own info, but head office would
have access to everything. Similarly the feedlot could access the
breeder records but not slaughterhouse records.

5. It would also need some fairly flexible reporting functionality

I know the first thing ppl will say is to 'try something less
complicated first and work up to a project like this', which is what I
will do, but although I think this can be done in Rev, I don't want to
buy a license, without knowing that it can eventually done.
Thanks in advance
Paul