QT in rev slower: Was Re: Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Aug 13 11:21:34 EDT 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 4:26 AM, Wolfgang M.Bereuter wrote:

> On 12.08.2004, at 03:36, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> and QT to integrate most of the other things I want to do (the
>> interactive 3D stuff, instructive Flash animations, etc.).  I have
>> been very pleased with Rev's performance in all of these areas.
>>
> Trevor,
> I have made an interactiv .mov file in a QT tool. If I run it as a
> standalone its double as fast as in a rev QT Player?  (from the
> subjectiv feeling, i cant test how fast it runs)
> What kind of secret do have that QT performs well in rev?.

I imagine your interactive movie was using wired sprites.  I *think*
the QT original code for Rev didn't take into account wired movies,
effects movies, etc. and so movies that didn't have a video track did
not get serviced enough during idle since Rev assumed there was no
image to update.  This could have been the reason that the controls for
audio only players were not always updated correctly.

One way to fix this is to place a simple animated GIF off screen and
that should improve performance for you on current versions of Rev.  I
think the audio controller issue was resolved in the latest beta so
this might no longer be an issue.  I haven't run through my QT test
stacks in the beta yet to see what is working better and what isn't.
That reminds me, I need to check if Rev now opens QT files with
read/write permission so that if you edit a movie in a controller you
can save it in place.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia