Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Aug 12 16:51:57 EDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 4:24 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Troy, you're obviously knowledgeable about both of these platforms.
> Based upon that knowledge, what do you think would be most difficult
> imaging tasks if you were to port your streamlogger app to Rev? This
> can give us valuable insight into the directions Rev might be able to
> take to have better imaging tools.

;-)

StreamLogger is a poor example indeed. IMO, it should not have been
written in Director in the first place. It works well, and does all the
things it says, but it is more of an "application", and makes few
demands on Imaging functionality - in fact, basically the same ones
that "Fathom" does, which are easily achievable in Rev. When I release
version 2, it will include an "engine" change.  ;-)   The Streamlogger
example was more to show that such applications *can* be written in
Director, as the implication had been that they couldn't.

When I say that Rev is behind in Imaging functionality, I'm talking
more about real-time dynamic image creation. Director can composite
(really composite, NOT overlay) many images with alpha at 30+ frames a
second. This allows a single pixel bitmap to be transformed through
code into a fully animated dynamic interface, with text, interactive
buttons, rollovers, everything. Think of a dynamic animated
hierarchical menu which is actually a one pixel bitmap that is written
into and modified on the fly. This simply cannot be done in Revolution
currently, yet is (relatively) commonplace in Director.

Consider this, in Director, virtually everything has an .image
property. Text included. This means that you can generate a field of
HTML styled text, which is never displayed, and exists only as a "cast
member" (data resource). The .image of this field can then easily be
obtained - with 8-bit alpha, and used within the same imaging functions
as actual images. This allows real-time compositing of text and images
into a single new image.

Also, all images have the ability to be real-time warped (essentially
offsetting of individual points of their rects) before or after the
compositing, with remarkable image smoothing. Useful in creating
distortions, perspectives, and realtime soft semi-transparent drop
shadows... and anything else the developer wishes to do. Are these sort
of functions irrelevant? To some, maybe. Not to me. To me, they are a
level of power and interface control I've yet to see in any other tool.
Does it apply to all projects? Certainly not. StreamLogger makes NO use
of them, and shouldn't. This is one of the reasons I anticipate moving
it out of Director.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.