Educational uses for Rev (was Re: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Wed Aug 11 13:14:07 EDT 2004

It would seem courseware in this context implies primarily evaluation,
not teaching/learning.  Students would need to have control of the
reins in Revolution to create content that would show learning had
occurred.  But then you have the PowerPoint multimedia slide show model
as a result, most likely.

But on the testing end of things, perhaps the models provided by the
AICC are the best easy models available.  Expository writing,
interviewing is the only real way I know of to test the depth of
retention and comprehension of what a student has learned.

Perhaps an answer is to create the tools by which the student must
create the test themselves, rather than take it, using the models you
cite.  Then you will be assured they have at least known that material
long enough to create it, and in contradiction to the wrong answers
they provide, which should provide a context that would imply some real
comprehension.  How to evaluate this would pose another problem.

Mark