Educational uses for Rev (was Re: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 11 12:53:34 EDT 2004

Marian Petrides wrote:

> Not only in teaching programming but in designing custom educational
> courseware. Who wants the student to have ONLY simple multiple-guess
> questions to work with?
>
> Life doesn't come with a series of four exclusive-or questions tattooed
> across it, so why give student this unrealistic view of the real world,
> when a little work in Rev will permit far more challenging interactivity?

Agreed wholeheartedly.  Education-related work was the largest single
set of tasks folks did with HyperCard, and for all the tools that have
come out since there remains an unaddressed gap which may be an ideal
focus for DreamCard.

But moving beyond simple questions models like multiple choice is
difficult.  The AICC courseware interoperability standard describes
almost a dozen question models, but most are variants of "choose one",
"choose many", "closest match", etc., sometimes enlived by using
drag-and-drop as the mechanism for applying the answer but not
substantially different from what gets tested with a simple multiple
choice in terms of truer assessment of what's been learned.

The challenge is to find more open-ended question models which can still
be assessed by the computer.  For example, the most open-ended question
is an essay, but I sure don't want to write the routine that scores
essays. :)

What sorts of enhanced question models do you think would be ideal for
computer-based learning?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation