opening sockets and cpu usage

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Aug 10 16:26:03 EDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 12:01 PM, Wouter wrote:

> To simplify the question:
>  if a socket is opened like in:
>
>        open socket to "127.0.0.0:8080" with message "gotit"
>
> with rev engine 2.6 and before, the cpu usage is slowly but steadily
> growing
>     (and faster if there are connections)
> with rev engine 2.6.1 it jumps at once to about 85 % cpu usage

I ran a test with a similar open.

But to test it I used 'accept' and at that point my usage jumped to
about 98% to 103% (of a possible 200% with two processors).  The open
did not add more usage that I could tell.

Then I closed the accept, leaving the connection open.  It stayed up
near 100%.  When I close from the passive (server) end, Revolution
usage drops to almost 0.

It looks like a bad thread is running when any socket is open.  It
might be polling.

This looks like bugzilla food to me.

I'm on OS X 10.3.4 with dual 1.25 GHz processors.

Oh, don't test using a default button.  For me, that causes usage to
jump up 27%.

Dar Scott