Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Aug 9 06:36:58 EDT 2004

>The inherent value proposition for Rev as a pro development tool is
>demonstrably high, and after 14 years there are sufficient examples
>to make a compelling case.
>
>If the case is not immediately compelling today, what changes could
>be made at the RunRev site and lesser marketing materials to make
>the value more self-evident?
>Beyond that, what other things might help make the value of choosing
>Rev more self-evident?
>
>The value's there.  The problem isn't the tool, it's communicating
>what the tool has already accomplished.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

and

>And to be honest I'm not so much worried about what a Windows
>developer / user thinks of the details (such as "plain English") as
>that they don't get that far. Look at the main page on
>www.runrev.com - Windows is mentioned once - a single word
>(admittedly in a prominent place).
>About a fifth of the screen is taken up by a row of  icons of Mac
>awards, and another fifth of the screen is a Max OSX screenshot.
>Simply changing the screenshot to W-XP would help.
>Adding a quote (or logo/award) from a PC or Linux mag or site would
>help even more.
>
>-- Alex.

As a cross-platform tool, RR should have not one but at least three
screen shots there lined up up vertically, all with the same basic
content but each from a different platform: OSX, WXP, Linux (W98 and
OS9 could follow as well). The size of each should be smaller of
course: half would do (clicking them should display each in large
size).

Also, the sample in each window should be for sth more advanced than
a simple calculator (for example, a movie player like the one that
was presented in the MacTech articles).

Furthermore, the flashbox (the yellow box with news) could be moved
left (or made a singleliner) so these "platform" shots start
immediately under the navbar so their multiplicity is clearly evident
within the initial pageview.

This would convey cross-platform aspect of this tool a lot stronger
than any text they have there.

Robert Brenstein