The sky is falling... [was Re: Is Rev too "Mac focused"?]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 8 05:58:30 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Java's xplat support  is, from all accounts and limited personal
> experience, a nightmare and a joke.

Not anymore.

Sure, when Marimba release Bongo we all had a good chuckle, but that was
many years ago.

A more modern example is ThinkFree Office:
<http://www.thinkfree.com/products/pd_office20.jsp>

Fully written in Java, it's appearances and performance seem roughly on
par with Rev for many key tasks.

I managed to purge my hard drive of all Microsoft apps, but since so
many people mistake Excel and Word for open standards that it's
essential to be able to read those formats. ThinkFree Office does a fair
job of reading and writing most Excel and Word files (those are
proprietary formats, so there are limitations), and it does so fairly
efficiently and provides acceptable interfaces for editing them.

Oddly enough, they have a feature similar to RevOnline called
"CyberDrive", which provides space on their servers for storing and
trading documents.

Of course I believe they'd cut their development costs in half if they
switched to Rev, but as an example of what modern Java frameworks can
deliver it's a pretty good one.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation