Is Rev too "Mac focused"?

Stephen King st.king42 at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 8 05:01:44 EDT 2004

Troy wrote
>Out of curiosity, what functionality specifically do you need which
>then requires QuickTime? Rev can obviously run happily without it, and
>some basic media types are even supported in that case - but beyond
>that, QuickTime is required to do the heavy lifting.

Hi Troy,
I wasn't really thinking of the 'rich' media bits. To me Rev should do the
basics itself. Sort of thing I'm thinking of are simple things like the
player controls not appearing if QT isn't installed. Not retested it but
from memory, if an MPEG is played (Wav won't play without QT remember - but
after Klaus's success need to work on this) in windows no controller appear
at all (but the MPEG plays). I had to resort to scripting my own controllers
based on Klaus's "banana" controller script.

Surely this level of support shouldn't rely on QT.

My other problems have been weird behaviour with basic transistions. I never
use transitions at all on windows now.

There may be other points using recording through QT, but I've never tried
this as I tend to avoid these areas in case they are QT dependent.

Cheers
Steve