Further on Platform Specificity

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Aug 7 23:20:00 EDT 2004

I was chatting with one of my Java buddies this evening about this
discussion and he pointed out something that is important to keep in
mind as well.

If small developers want or need to create software for multiple
platforms, it is crucial that they not be expected to maintain multiple
code bases to do so. To the extent that the toolset they use supports
OS-specific features and these features are incorporated, they end up
with a situation where they have to maintain multiple code bases or, in
the not-less-unattractive alternative, incorporate lots of
platform-checking conditional code.

This kind of thing can kill a small developer.