Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Sun Aug 8 00:51:18 EDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 4:20 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
> (2) if Dan gets run over by a dinosaur, how easy will it be for me to
> find another Rev developer?

I agree that this is a stumbling block. Seems to me that a good way to
deal with this is to have RunRev develop a code escrow replacement
programmer kind of service where the source for a build goes onto a
RunRev maintained server with access detailed in the splash screen of
the app.

Dan gets squished by a dinosaur. I launch Dan's app and in the splash
screen see instructions for how to gain access to the source used to
build this version. Perhaps there is some unique file ID and the name
and address of the person in the company who has the password needed to
unlock the source code (a document that the RunRev site generated when
I uploaded the code that was designed specifically to be given to the
person in the company).

I get the password from that corporate person and I go to the RunRev
site specified on the splash screen and fill in all the data requested.
RunRev checks that data against what Dan entered originally and if all
looks well, someone from RunRev does the final confirmation (phone call
or fax exchange or perhaps emails) for a nominal fee (say 100 EUR). If
that looks good, RunRev provides the source to the client and hooks
them up with someone they know can handle the job. Think of it as
insurance that costs nothing to buy but when you need to use it, there
is a fee.

Seems to me RunRev could set up a system that goes a long way towards
negating the fear of Dan being crushed by a dinosaur and in doing so,
expand the acceptance of Revolution.

Just a thought.

kee nethery