The sky is falling... [was Re: Is Rev too "Mac focused"?]

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sun Aug 8 00:41:21 EDT 2004

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Frank.
On Aug 7, 2004, at 9:18 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2004, at 11:04 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
> wrote:
>
>> From: Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com>
>> Subject: Re: Is Rev too "Mac focused"?
>> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>>
>> And therein lies the rub.
>>
>> I believe it is literally impossible to create an xplat dev tool that
>> lets the developer call native system APIs. As an OS X guy, I would
>> much rather find xplat ways of accomplishing things that would
>> otherwise cause me to have to learn and deal with an underlying OS.
>>

> I'm on a 56K modem and haven't caught up with all of the previous
> discussion, but I couldn't pass up responding to this one:
>
> 1. It is not only possible, but actually not all that hard, to create
> hooks to native platform APIs on a cross-platform tool.  Java does it
> with JNI.  Microsoft did it with their version of JNI  (RNI?) that Sun
> had such a stink about and sued them over.  RealBasic does it.  What's
> to stop RunRev doing it?  Once you decide how to pass parameters, the
> rest is easy.

Java's xplat support  is, from all accounts and limited personal
experience, a nightmare and a joke. Microsoft NEVER produced an xplat
tool that supported the Mac as far as I know. Although RB lays some
claim to doing xplat stuff right, from what I gather lurking on their
message boards and reading developer web pages, it's not all it's
cracked up to be.

I can't comment on the ease of doing it, just observe that it's been
tried a lot and never, as far as I know, successfully. My deepest
experience was with Smalltalk, which certainly didn't do it but came
closer than anything else I've seen.

> 2. Neither adding hooks for native platform APIs,  nor adding an
> alternate C-like syntax (as Director did) would cause the sky to fall.
>  In fact both of these things would both make RunRev vastly more
> accessible and to, and usable by, the overwhelming majority of
> developers writing software today.

Which begs my point: I do not believe that RR has ANY shot at
converting professional Windows developers. Period. Doesn't matter what
they do.