Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Aug 7 23:43:10 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:

>(1) how
> long will the company (RunRev) be around; and

Good question. Well, let's see, the engine has been around for 10 years.
  You know the rest. Besides, how long is VB around for? Currently MS is
still providing minor tech support, and no bug fixes. So, you need to
rewrite you program in .NET.

>(2) if Dan gets run over
> by a dinosaur, how easy will it be for me to find another Rev developer?
> I can usually get by the first one by explaining the whole engine story
> but the second has been a show stopper twice.

Well, this list is a good place to start looking. I've worked on
projects with you, Dar, Jerry, Monte and collaborated with Richard, Ken
and Jacque as well (and others). So, there does seem to be an easy way
to find help. Besides, as you know oh so well, many programmers would
rather 'rewrite' than 'fix old code' anyway. So, who knows, the next
incarnation of appX may be in Java, Smalltalk, C++, or RR. And, because
one can develop in RR so fast, it may still be the cheaper alternative.

best,

Chipp