File Format Will Change

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 2 18:40:36 EDT 2004

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:

> We note in the What's New for 2.5 beta1
>
> "The format of stack files has not changed between version 2.2 and 2.5
> Beta 1. This means
> that you can open and use version 2.5 stack files in version 2.2,
> although features that
> are new for 2.5 will not work in earlier versions.  Note that the file
> format will change
> later during the beta cycle for 2.5."
>
> I presume this means that
>
> a) any standalone apps made with 2.2.1 that are meant to download and
> run other stacks from the web will not be able to run such stacks made
> by 2.5 after the file format change is implemented.
>
> b) all such standalone apps would then need to be upgraded.
>
> Anyone know what "later during the beta cycle for 2.5" means in terms of
> real time? One would presume "shortly... in a month or so, this quarter
> for sure."
>
> If anyone can just confirm the above. that would help.

Following my premature alarmist note on the subject here, Kevin politely
reminded us that he'll definitely call out in big bold type which beta
build will change the format once it's available.

His inclusion of the note about the file format change in b1 was just a
"heads up", much appreciated by those of us who depend on this thing for
our daily bread.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation