use-revolution Digest, Vol 11, Issue 3

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 1 18:34:45 EDT 2004

> From: Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com>
> Date: 2 August 2004 8:18:46 AM
> To: Revolution User List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: More on Xplat Fonts
>

> I was perusing the RealBASIC archives and some other language
> discussion areas and what I've found is that the problem of xplat
> fonts is huge and has so far been solved only by Macromedia Director
> and then only very inefficiently.

Actually I think only Flash has managed to come up with a half (and a
small half at that) decent solution with its font outlines. Director's
embedded fonts still cause problems on some systems if you don't have
administrator rights.

> It is generally illegal to include fonts (those that are copyrighted)
> in an application, e.g. So packaging up fonts as part of the install
> process may not work.
>
> As I said in an earlier post, Java programmer friends of mine tell me
> this is their biggest single xplat issue as well. So maybe we just
> have to live with it, do platform checking, master the use of
> profiles, set up some suggested standards.... In short, do it the hard
> way!

Exactly.

Terry...

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne