Revolution for Voting

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Apr 29 20:31:47 EDT 2004

The electronic voting method that I think is best (IMHO) is the pencil
filling in of round ovals on a printed page that gets read by an
optical scanner. The candidates would be listed next to their ovals on
the paper so that you as a human could verify your voting. The optical
scanner would read the vote and verify that it was machine readable by
displaying how you voted as it dropped it through the scanner into a
clear holding box. If you agree that it is displaying your votes
correctly, then press the onscreen button that tallys your vote and
opens a trap door that drops the vote into the vote bucket.

That would be how I would design it. Each polling station would just
need one scanner / tally machine and it could support a large number of
curtained voting stations. You could random sample polling places and
the tally in the machine should be exactly the same as the tally of the
paper that was in the voting bucket. If the tallies were wrong, you
could always hand count or just run all votes through another scanner.

Just my two cents if I was designing a system that used a bunch of
distributed computers.

Kee Nethery