preserving resource forks under Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 26 15:28:11 EDT 2004

Chris Sheffield wrote (re-arranged back to standard reading order:

 >> You can use the resFile service specified to get and set a
 >> resource fork on Mac systems:
 >>
 >>    put url ("resfile:"&tMyFilePath) into tMyResData
 >
> But does that work on a PC running Windows?  The docs say it doesn't.
> That's my problem.  I'm copying the files from a CD (Mac/Windows hybrid) to
> a PC hard drive.  Will this still work?

You'll need to break out the res file to a separate data file while on
Mac, and recombine them while on Mac.  No other operating system
supports the dual-fork file format.

Simpler might be to just burn the CD as a hybrid, having the PC version
access the files from the Mac partition.

What's in the res forks that needs to be retained?  The resource fork is
being phased out of Mac OS, so this may be a good time to consider other
storage options if possible.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation