IAC (native port listening not possible): how aboutexternals/named pipes?

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Apr 23 09:26:46 EDT 2004

David,

though we are now moving to a dedicated server - firewall is
not really an option
<<

Assuming your dedicated server is Linux, there is firewalling protection
built into recent kernels - it is just a question of finding a good tool
to control it.  I have been using Shorewall for some time - I think it is
very simple to use.  (http://www.shorewall.net/)  You just add the ports
and ip numbers you want to allow to connect.  If you are going to use it,
I would advise not automating the startup of the firewall until you are
sure you are not going to prevent yourself from accessing the server :-)

There is a Linux based project that I have been following which uses
named pipes for IAC between C, Java, Python, Tcl and some other
languages I believe... thinking of porting the API to an external and
then writing the equivalent of a server for named pipes so that
messages could be passed from these languages to a specific Revolution
stack / control.
<<

There is also an article here
(http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid39_gci955458,00.html)
on using named pipes in Linux.  If you want to go down that route, maybe
you can achieve it more quickly than porting the project you mentioned (as
interesting as that project sounds).

Hope this is of some help.

Bernard