How do I Create a Custom Property, part 324

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Apr 21 08:57:36 EDT 2004

Hi David,

>> The customKeys is a list of items, delimited by lineendings. So if
>> you want to append something you would do it like this:
>>
>> put the customKeys of this stack into myCustomKeys
>> put return & "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys
>> set the customKeys of this stacj to myCustomKeys
>
> Thanks a lot, what is the item delimiter for this list?

I think for you it should read:

The customKeys is a list of LINES, delimited by lineendings.

"items" are a completely different thing...
See the docs for "item"...

Lines can contain items for sure, but an item is something delimited by
COMMA,
but you can set the itemdelimiter by yourself...

But i think "line" is pretty much selfexplaining ;-)

> Is it always the same an all lists?

> Also from reading:

> Does it say anywhere that the last entry doesn't have/need a return
> character?
> The natural way of expecting a list to be formatted would be to have a
> terminator
> at the end of each line. If there is only one line, is there a return
> at the beginning
> of the line? at the end? none at all?

What about:
if myCustomKeys = empty then
   put "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys
else
    put return & "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys
end if

A "list" is just a number of LINES sepearated by CR!
There is NO CR before the first line of a list.
If there is a CR with NO characters after it, you have an EMPTY line.
So there is NO CR after the last line of a list.

Again, "list" is also pretty much selfexplainig ;-)

Simply imagine a field!

> I typed in "list" and "array" in the Transscript Dictionary, but there
> is nothing there that tell
> me anything, even though when looking at commands (like "customKeys")
> it mentions things
> like "propertylist".

This is no keyword, so you won't find it in the docs...
It just means "a list of properties"...

Hope that helps...

> Just wish they would give a definition of the parameters in commands
> etc.

I wish there was peace on earth ;-)

> Thanks a lot
> Dave