How do I Create a Custom Property

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 21 08:38:23 EDT 2004

>>>The customKeys is a list of items, delimited by lineendings. So if
>>>you want to append something you would do it like this:
>>>
>>>put the customKeys of this stack into myCustomKeys
>>>put return & "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys
>>>set the customKeys of this stacj to myCustomKeys
>>
>>Thanks a lot, what is the item delimiter for this list? Is it
>>always the same an all lists? I typed in "list" and "array" in the
>>Transscript Dictionary, but there is nothing there that tell me
>>anything, even though when looking at commands (like "customKeys")
>>it mentions things like "propertylist". Just wish they would give a
>>definition of the parameters in commands etc.
>
>from the "CustomKeys" dictionary page:
>"The customKeys of an object is a list of that object's custom
>property names, one per line."
>How is that not descriptive?

Because when you type "list" or "property list" or any combination of
those into he same "dictionary" it gives nothing back! This is true
all over the place! It's like having a normal english dictionary with
an entry for (say) "Hog" that says "type of "Pig"" but then doesn't
define a Pig!!!

>Also "propertylist" is just another way for saying: "that
>linedelimited list you get or set in relation to customKeys."

It doesn't say that either!

I'm just finding myself getting increasingly frustrated by (the lack)
of decent documentation!

Also from reading:

>>>put return & "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys

Does it say anywhere that the last entry doesn't have/need a return
character? The natural way of expecting a list to be formatted would
be to have a terminator at the end of each line. If there is only one
line, is there a return at the beginning of the line? at the end?
none at all?

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave