emulating the keyboard - Application control

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 14 22:12:20 EDT 2004

John,

I did a CD distribution that had over 75 slide presentations with over
400 megs of slides. It was cross platform. The slides came from a dozen
different people with different styles. I built a Rev 'Player' to
display them all. But the trick as you saw on the list previously is to
either turn them into movie files (quicktime for interactive movies
with transitions etc. or MS movie files for non interactive movies) or
export them as .png files and use REV as a slide presentation front
end.

If you do Quicktime then use Keynote - it works great- but not all
windows users have quicktime. If you do avi or another then you lose
the interactive part but can still display them. If you do the .png
then you can control effects in REV (but keep in mind not using
Quicktime in REV either).

This is the way I ended up doing it. I exported all the PPT slide into
.png and referenced them in a REV window. I have one window with one
card that in a button gets a folder of slide .pngs and shows them one
at a time upon the mouse click. I had a Home, Previous and Next button
and everything works fine. A very generic script can handle it that
way. I got mine from mixing a couple of scripts from people on the list
and would be glad to share them with you if you go this route. Let me
know.

There is also another way. For windows (only) you can use REV as a
front end and 'launch' the MSPowerpoint player that is still available
on windows. I could not find it any more for the mac. This is how
people do it in Director. You may be able to find an old version of the
MS PPT player somewhere.

HTH
Tom