Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Apr 14 16:20:37 EDT 2004

David-

DB> Actually I've never used HyperCard! I'm a C/C++ programmer usually
DB> but decided to take a RunRev sabbatical which I am (mostly) enjoying!

Well, you can't do this at all in C/C++. Or in any other language.
There's no way to modify a running application - it's an OS
restriction rather than something built into any development
environment. I know several others have said this, but it won't hurt
to hammer it home. OS9 lets you get away with it, but it's an anomaly
and RR enforces the ban to maintain cross-platform consistency.

DB> I really like RR  the only critisism I have is the lack of
DB> documentation on how to put all the pieces together. There are
DB> command things that a lot of RR developers must want to do that just
DB> don't seem to be covered. Either a document or a  sample Stack setup
DB> with a separate Standalone and "data" stack as you describe would
DB> have been of so much help.

Agreed. I think an example should be at least in the docs, considering
how often it comes up.

Meanwhile check out Frederick Rinaldi's Preference Builder at:

http://www.xcmdfactory.com/

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net