Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

Dan Friedman dan at clearvisiontech.com
Wed Apr 14 10:59:35 EDT 2004

Dave,

>> 1 (& 2).  How do I get the Quit and Preferences Menu Items to work
>>  correctly on MacOS Classic and X?
> Thanks a lot, I'll give this a try. But is there no document that
> describes how to do this? Also why is the readme file wrong??

It is documented.  I found it by searching for "quit" in the transcript
dictionary, then choosing "How to respond to quitting an OSX application"
from the "See Also" option.  More times than not, the "see also" menu leads
me in the right direction.

In regards to saving the state of a checkbox:

I don't save stacks from a standalone.  In my opinion, it's just a bad idea.
Mainly because when I update my product down the road, those stacks may
become problematic because they will become out of date.  Instead, I save to
a text file... Like a "preferences" file.

I have a set of routines that will iterate through a group of objects saving
the state of each control (buttons and fields).  When my app launches, I
load the data from the text file into a global variable called gPrefs.
Then, when I open a stack, I call

setPaneData "groupName",gPrefs

When the user click the "OK" button, I call:

put collectPaneData("groupName") into gPrefs
put gPrefs into url ("file:" & prefPath)

Pretty simple, and it works quite well!

If you (or anyone else) is interested in these routines, let me know and
I'll be happy to send them to you --> dan at clearvisiontech.com

Hope that helps.

-Dan