xml uses and books to read

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Apr 12 11:19:57 EDT 2004

> "If XML tags and structures can be made to represent pretty
> well anything,
> how does the user community for a particular dialect/
> language/ data model
> expressed in XML communicate? I mean, if a particular set of
> XML tags and
> structures is about chemical compounds or the parts of a bicycle or
> whatever, is there a generalised metalinguistic way of
> defining what the
> representation means, or does the community share some more or less
> informal description and then conform to that?"

In my (albeit limited) experience, it has been the latter. Many times the
data tends to expose a "natural" structure. For example, a product inventory
could naturally break down to:

<inventory>
  <product>
    <part></part>
    <part></part>
    <part></part>
  </product>
  <product>
    <part></part>
    <part></part>
  </product>
</inventory>

etc.

Graham, it might be good to look at the documentation for my XML Library,
which goes into some detail about XML and has examples of how it's used:

http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/metacard/downloads/xmllibdocs.pdf

(it's about 462K, FYI)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software