Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Apr 12 01:30:38 EDT 2004

Le 12 avr. 04, à 01:43, Norman Winn a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> As the person originating this thread and considering moving from
> Filemaker to RR I am aware that I must recreate my interface and set
> about choosing, learning an SQL type database system.
>
> My concerns in contemplating this move are:
>
> 1. Can I reproduce enough of my interface to satisfy my client?

Yes, for sure.

> 2.  Can I solve my speed bottlenecks? This is not unrelated to (1) as,
> if the client sees big speed improvements here, he is likely to be
> tolerant of interface differences. In this respect, I think the
> possibilities look very good.

Yes. RR + a rock-solid SQL db server (PostgreSQL or FireBird prefered
there) will let you get more speed improvements than you will ever
need. In using this kind of solutions, both the speed and the
security/integrity of the dats are never going to be a problem anymore.

Under the *nixes platforms, to handle the same tasks, the RR engine
runs 60 times faster than the 1.4.x issue of the JVM. On the database
side, it's no really ways to compare FileMaker and PostgreSQL in about
speed considerations : As a basic datafiles system FMP is going slower
and slower with the growing files where the "response-time to queries "
is almost not indexed on the length and the number of the tables
handled by a PostgreSQL server.

> 3. Is there anything I cannot replicate with enough effort?

No.

> 4. After the initial learning curve will my productivity be greater
> than with competing tools?

Yes. Three months after switching from a flat-files db paradigm to
PostgreSQL, i had learned all what i needed to know about running
PostgreSQL as an RR back-end db system.

> 5. As RR's scripting is proprietary it is most critical the company
> stick around so my investment in time will not be lost. I cannot over
> emphasise how important the activity and supportiveness of this list
> is in providing reassurance.

To get the confidence of the customers, the best is to explain (and
show by the results) how much the use of RR+SQL, instead of
Java+object/relational mapping+SQL as an example, make sense in both
terms of "Time-to-Market" and Security... In about security, Java
coding and against the last tendances who says it's good to use as many
frameworks as possible to integreate prebuild jsp/java-beans, we have
to remerber that only core java coding let us control what we are
"putting in the boxes"...

> The potential benefits of the effort are large. If I take on the
> problems I have a solution that I own i.e. no runtime licences, that I
> can sculpt in myriad fashions not available in FM. I have
> data/interface separation. The solution is useable over WANs. I
> believe I get live backups with the right DB. I have better version
> control and more fluid update procedure ...

True ! I'm using MC/RR to build WAN Web/ERP's "n-tier" apps since 1998
and, even if i'm always watching around to learn how others are doing
(Java, PHP and so on...), i just know that there are no best ways, for
me, to design, code, deploy and handle such kind of apps than in using
MC/RR in about the application's logic and a rock-solid ACID SQL
datawarehouse solution as the backend system.

Hope this can help :)

Best,

Pierre

> Norman Winn

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"