Help with paste...

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Apr 10 00:28:42 EDT 2004

I'm having a similar and serious problem on OSX that may relate and
could possibly be the clipboard issue that Pierre mentions. I'm not so
sure yet we can simply blame WinXP... witness these related problems
with paste:

If I Open InDesign and copy a piece of text  "It's  (That's: curly
quote, capital Eye, lower case t, curly apostrophe, s)

Now, if I paste this into a field into Rev 2.2 on OSX, select it  and
run this script against it:

on mouseup
   put the selection into jai
   repeat for each char x in jai
     put charTonum(x) & cr after hum
   end repeat
   put cr & hum after the selection
end mouseup

I get a really strange result:
“It’s
32
28
73
116
32
25
115

If I simply type

“It's

into Rev and translate this to ascii

I get this:

“““It'’s
210
73
116
213
115

and even more strange: when I just tried to paste “It'’s  copied from
rev into this email on OSX mail.app... actually, both the opening quote
AND the curly apostrophe disappeared on paste... all I get is: Its
here in this email... But if I copy that same string from InDesign and
paste into this email, thusly “It’s   all the characters are passed
through the clipboard from InDesign, but were not passed through for
the same string from Rev!

I suspect this is much  more than a WinXP issue.

Anyway my big problem now is that that my "cleaner" scripts are failing
on InDesign text.. stuff like:

# where the attempt is to replace curly quotes with straight quotes

put some fld ( or selection) into tTextChunk
replace "”" with """ in tTextchunk

which I've been using for literally years and years, are now failing:

More wierdness: and when I pass the text back from the variable to the
field, the curly quotes are gone and I get char(28) looking like a
square box in the place where a straight quote should be... which at
least jives with the translation effort above.

but wait ;-) there is more: I have another string that appears at the
end of every editorial piece where our layout editor cooked up some
image to put into a high ascii character of the font (a version of
Caledonia we fixed and call "Quantum Leap")  we use for Hinduism Today
magazine... if I select the period at the end of the sentence, the tab
that follows it and paste these into Rev and try to translate those to
ASCII, well, this is off the charts, I get a return string in OSAKA
with Japanese gliphs

”	∏π
㌲ਲ㤊㤊㈲㐊㤊㌴਱㔊㌊ㄹ㈊

So ditto that: help with paste wanted!

If anyone can help me figure out how to "dumb down" text from InDesign
back to the 0-127  ASCII set, using Revolution script control on OSX, i
will be eternally grateful... meanwhile I messing around now with crazy
work arounds like

replace numToChar(28) with Quote in tTextChunk...

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org