Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 6 04:42:39 EDT 2004

Norman Winn wrote:
> Downloaded RR and worked through the tutorial.
> ...I like concise languages. If they are verbose then
> they should need no, or little, commenting. The examples have so  many
> comments I can't follow the logic.

That's good feedback, thank you.  The original version was more sparsely
commented, but some considered it too sparse.

Seems my last post on personality types and tutorials was more timely
than I'd anticipated; it's hard to craft a tutorial for all personality
types.

A note on verbosity: while Transcript and other xTalks are sometimes
referred to as "verbose", when comparing the number of tokens needed for
a given task xTalks often compare favorably, sometimes by an order of
magnitude or more.

How many lines to create an alias file in BASIC? In Transcript it's one:

   create alias "hd/folder/myalias" to file "hd/folder/myfile"

Same with reading a file:

   put url ("file:hd/folder/myfile") into tMyVar

And download and running a stack via HTTP:

   go stack url "http://www.fourthworld.com/mystack.rev"

And many more.

I don't do enough work with MySQL yet to help with your first three
questions, but on this one I might have something for you:

> 4. Icing on the cake? Has anyone already handled converting and
> documented it?

Better:  there's a popular tool for porting from FMP to MySQL called FM
Migrator:
<http://www.fmpromigrator.com/products/fmpro_migrator/index.html>

Better still: it was made with Revolution. :)

For an example of interfacing Rev with MySQL over the Internet, see Ken
Ray's excellent Revzilla, a Rev-based front-end to BugZilla.  You can
grab it at:
<http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/downloads/RevZilla.htm>

> Thank you for attention and for a lively, open forum,

Welcome to the crew.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation