QT Licensing Info

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 29 09:39:01 EDT 2003

Following the discussion here about licensing QuickTime installers for
inclusion on your CD-ROMs, I posted the questions raised here to Apple's QT
discussion list.  I got a personal reply from an Apple rep which clarifies
things, and she's given me permission to post it here:
We work very hard to make it easy to distribute QuickTime, however we
also must protect our technology and our brand. So the 7 page license
agreement is what we feel is necessary for that protection, the rest of
the pages are exhibits. We have had a very successful licensing program
with thousands of licensees, and yes someone looks at each submission.
One of the items submitted is sent to engineering as they use these
products for testing new versions of QuickTime and the other is sent to
marketing so that we can demonstrate these products and promote
products that use and include QuickTime.

We have a team of folks who can answer questions regarding the license
if your customers should have any (cc:d here).
And no we don't require an update to a product for each dot release of
QuickTime. The license for QuickTime 6 might be a little confusing
because we can only allow licenses for QuickTime 6.0.3 and later but
people don't need to sign a new license or ship a revved version of
their product when we release a new dot release of QuickTime.

I hope this helps clarify things and that you continue to evangelize
QuickTime.
cheers,
rhonda
QuickTime Team