JPEG comment data

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Sep 23 12:07:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Rodney Tamblyn wrote:

> Does anyone have an example code snippet of how to access COM
> (comment) or APP1 chunk information from JPEG images in Revolution?

I have not broken up JPEG, but I have attacked other binary files in
Revolution.

The file format seems to be defined for additional info, though there
might be some idiosyncrasies.  Process the file using binaryDecode.
One approach would be to make a function that takes an image and
returns, say, an array of values by name.  The name might be based on
that used in standards.  For fixed position fields, access functions
might work, but I have found that accessing data with variable length
fields is easier if the file is preprocessed to break out the
components.  The only problem is that arrays can currently be only one
layer deep and line and item lists are needed for the other levels.  In
most cases that is just fine.  In other cases, data can be burst in
layers.

Dar Scott

     Dar Scott Consulting
     http://www.swcp.com/dsc/