QT Player only?

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Sun Sep 21 10:33:00 EDT 2003

 >>>I guess I'm not grokking the difference between a player object and a
videoClip or how to even control a "vc".<<<

It might help to think of the player object as a "picture frame" of
sorts; it uses services available to the operating system (such as
QuickTime) to display images, video or sound.  The actual picture,
video or sound file is "linked" to the player object but is kept
external to the stack or standalone.
If you actually import the image, video or sound into the stack, it is
displayed without the flexibility of the player (the controller for
starting, pausing, playing only a selection, etc.), but in that case
does not rely upon the presence of QuickTime or Windows Media Player,
etc.  Also,  I understand in general it's good practice to keep
external media sources separate from the project, especially if you
want to update or change those resources.  I guess it wouldn't be as
important if the resources were small in size (low-resolution images or
short, compressed sounds, etc.).
I think that Runtime Revolution's authors are trying to encourage
developers to use the player objects rather than importing media.  You
certainly can display a much greater variety of file formats using the
player object.

TIP:  If you are having difficulty playing a sound clip that you have
imported, try importing the sound clip as a videoClip instead.

TIP:  I get all sorts of unpredictable results when setting the
dontUseQT to true on Windows systems:  some MIDI files will play, but
the sounds are out-of-phase with each other; some MIDI files and many
sound files (AIFF compressed, some mp3s; even system WAV files) don't
play at all;  so I would say that if you are not going to have QT
available on the host platform, test, test, test!  (These results are
using Win2K Pro, RR 1.1.1; it may be that some of the problems are
corrected in RR v2.x)

-Kurt