Leaving room for the title bar

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 07:46:01 EDT 2003

Further to my earlier queries about screen real estate (no replies
from the list so far), I've done a bit of research which appears to
show definitively that although the WindowBoundingRect takes into
account the bits of the screen used up by the OS on each platform,
there is no function within Transcript that tells the developer how
much space the decorations of a window are going to take up. Thus if
you set the rect of a stack to the default WindowBoundingRect, the
title bar and any framing decorations on the sides and the bottom of
the window just disappear. To stop this happening and yet precisely
fill the available screen area you need to know details of window
design, which vary with the OS (even different versions of Windows, I
think).

So I repeat my question - how can I know for the various flavours of
OS which RunRev allows me to use, the amount of space taken up by
these decorations?

Other listers must have come up against this problem.

TIA

Graham

BTW, the WindowBoundingRect is set differently when the IDE is
present (it is set to avoid the IDE's own toolbar) but there is
nothing in the docs about this.