Pros and cons of where to store image data

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Fri Sep 19 10:06:01 EDT 2003

Ken,

Yes; that (QT-compatible) should work fine; but that's not
"incompatible". Let's use as an example the mpeg2 decoder that is an
optionally purchased add-on (from Apple). It may very well work in your
Rev app as long as you name it as what your app expects (myMovie.mov in
my example rather than myMovie.mpg). However, as this is not part of
the standard "distribution" of QuickTime, it would not work on another
system without that extension in place.

Second example: Windows (yuchh!) - You've got to be careful here
because virtually no one keeps their QT up to date (and maybe hasn't
even installed it in the first place!). I'm distributing QT on my CD;
it's free from Apple as long as you submit the requested form. As there
doesn't seem to be any app that comes with Windows that will save as a
QT movie (basic QT, with or without compression), my advice to my
customers is to purchase QT Pro which will permit the exporting of what
might be otherwise incompatible media into a QT-native format. I know
that, theoretically, if QT Player can import it it should play in Rev
but I'm not promising anything of the sort when it comes to my Windows
apps. Microsoft likes to take its football and go home whenever anyone
comes up with a method to provide "standards-based" computing. Then it
comes back with a "new standard" that is anything but!...(unprintable
vitriol follows; fill in your own diatribe here...)

Third example: myText.txt renamed as myText.mov (I'm scared to even try
it.) That's incompatible media, for sure.

So, depending on the extent to which your app is distributed (in the
marketing sense, not the "SETI-at-Home" sense), your best advice to
your customers is to stick with the "standard" QT movie (assuming you
want to give them the info on how to change the movies displayed at
particular points in your app by dropping new, properly-named movies
into the 'data' folder).

Frankly, I'm still amazed at how Rev supports this so nicely. (Thank
you, Rev team.)

Regards,
Barry