Unicode with answer file and manipulating text fields

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Sep 19 09:52:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 03:37  PM, Tuviah Snyder wrote:

>> Okay, but how do I determine what to do at runtime?  On my system I
>> have three different file names that I am testing with:
>>
>> 1) All english characters
>> 2) All japanese characters
>> 3) Uses european characeters (é)
>>
>> If I use uniEncode (myfileName, "Japanese") then cases 1 and 2 work
>> but not 3.
>> If I use uniEncode (myFileName, "UTF8") then cases 1 works but not 2
>> and 3.
>> If I use uniEncode (myFileName, "UTF16") then cases 1 and 3 work but
>> not 2.
>>
>> So how do I determine which encoding to use on a string so it
>> displays correctly?  Or is there an encoding that I am missing which
>> converts correctly every time?  I am still very new to unicode so I
>> apologize if I am missing something obvious.
>
> Well I think we need to support unicode or UTF8 paths names, using the
> useunicode property, which I plan to do in the near future. Current
> there is
> no way to know:-( because to be compatible with the previous behavior
> we
> convert from UTF8 to the system script and vice versa.
>
> Please feature request this and I'll work on finding a workaround.

This has been entered into Bugzilla as BUG # 674 (feature request).  If
anyone knows of a workaround so that I can correctly display whatever
pathname a user chooses that would be great.  This is the last feature
I need to get working in a program for a client that is already past
due.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia