Deep Space

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Wed Sep 10 08:02:01 EDT 2003

> From: David Vaughan
> Subject: Re: Deep Space (was: The Directory Walker revisited)
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:38:27 -0700
> Found it folks!
>
> On OS X systems the folder //Network contains a reference to the local
>  computer, which is where you started, so round you go again.

> From: David Vaughan
> Subject: Re: Deep Space
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:34:01 -0700
>

>> #### change to eliminate the aliases
>>   get shell("ls -F")
>>   filter it with "*[/]"
>
> Redundant perhaps. More importantly, just wrong. Please read my
>  my posts stands. It may be less confusing if you do not reply :-)

Hi,

I'm truly sorry of my previous posting as I didn't receive any digests
anymore, I couldn't heed the advice above. So I hope this won't add to
the confusion created by me.
The correct name for what I called "another kind of alias" is "symbolic
link".
In the man pages for ls :

   -F      Display a slash (/) immediately after each pathname that is a
              directory, an asterisk (*) after each that is executable,
an at
              sign (@) after each symbolic link, a percent sign (%)
after each
              whiteout, an equal sign (=) after each socket, and a
vertical bar
              (|) after each that is a FIFO.

The /Network/Servers/ directory contains such a symbolic link.
The metacard-engine considers a symbolic link as a true directory.
But "ls -F" can show these symbolic links.

Retreating, deeply ashamed,
Greetings,
WA