Workaround Option Request

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Sep 9 14:37:01 EDT 2003

Howdy List:

I have a not-so-complicated situation but am having a complicated time
trying to solve it.  I am dragging an image around on a card that is
supposed to act as if it is illuminating an image on a lower layer (a
flashlight).  The biggest problem I've run into is drag performance with
translucent objects.

I've tried using a large PNG image that has a small transparent spot in the
middle: dragging response is OK, but not good.  I've tried using a small PNG
and bordering the PNG with a draw graphic that has a blend ink effect
applied (this dynamically resizes in relation to the location of the PNG),
but the blend ink effect is Mac only.

I doubt dynamically changing the alphaData of a large PNG would be fast
enough to keep up with the mouseLoc...

Ideally I (we) need to be able to apply the blendLevel to draw graphics but
since the Rev folks probably won't get to this any time soon, has anyone
found a creative way to build an irregularly shaped translucent object?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design