The Directory Walker revisited

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Tue Sep 2 16:40:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 22:19 Australia/Brisbane, wouter
<wouter.abraham at pi.be> wrote:

snip

>> Now directories nested 1000 deep seems unusual.
>
> That is true but the amount of recursion is not  equal to the depth of
> the directories.

That rather depends on whether you are using pre-, end- or post-order
processing within the recursion. Walking the entire breadth and depth
of the directory tree before processing any data would be a bit unusual.

> It is equal to the total amount of directories. And this number can
> easily surpass 1000.

I did not see the actual walker which started this thread but I and
others have posted recursive walkers "years" ago which used a
depth-first search with pre- or end-order processing, and have not hit
these limits. As Dar suggests, I doubt they would have any problem
processing an entire OS X volume.

regards
David