CGI and find

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 2 15:43:01 EDT 2003

On 9/2/03 2:01 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Maybe running this as a command line app will allow you to see what is
> written to stdout.  I get the impression from your mail that you are
> doing this, but I thought I'd mention this.
>
> Maybe an error message is written to stdout instead of stderr.  Maybe
> the http server is collecting up both.

See my other message about junk being returned. I've made some changes
since then though...

> For example, maybe you have a permissions problem with the stack.

I just downloaded the latest Darwin engine and put that in instead. I
set permissions, and the sample "echo.mt" script runs okay. So does my
original "offset" script. BTW, both the "find" version and the "offset"
version are in the same text document, so they have the same permissions
no matter which I run. I just comment out the version I don't want to test.

> Try wrapping the find in a try-catch and put error info in the buffer
> and see what the web browser displays.  This might prevent an error from
> writing to the stdout and messing up the headers.  This might be a good
> thing to do near the top anyway.

I moved the header line up to the top which does seem to eliminate the
malformed header error. Now that I've installed the newest engine, I
don't get the garbage spew. I don't get anything at all, actually -- no
error, no nothing, except a "wait" cursor and an indefinite "loading..."
message from the browser which stays there until I click the Stop
button. Looks like an infinite loop, sort of, except that it isn't
infinite when run in the IDE on the same stack. I'm searching for a
known search term that has six instances. The offset script finds them
all, and the "find" script finds them all in the IDE but not in the cgi,
where it appears to hang.

If I didn't vaguely recall that someone else was able to use "find" in a
cgi, I'd just give up and say it was impossible.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com